For Entering Students
Getting started in the DVM program
The Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine is committed to diversity and to fostering an inclusive environment to promote learning and growth for all members of our community.
The Virginia Tech Office of University Scholarships and Financial Aid (USFA) provides the following resources to assist you with financial aid:
- Financial Aid Guide for the DVM Class of 2025 (PDF)
- The USFA website provides information to guide you through the financial aid process, including important financial aid information for veterinary medicine students.
- A financial aid advisor will lead an information and Q&A session during orientation week.
- If you have already applied for financial aid and your aid is pending, check your aid status via Hokie Spa.
- For assistance, you may contact Stephanie Breeding, the DVM financial aid contact, at 540-231-5179 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All veterinary students are required to carry health insurance and may choose between the university group plan or private insurance. If you choose to participate in a private insurance plan, you will be asked to provide documentation of that insurance coverage.
- To learn what information is needed, contact the Student Medical Insurance Office at email@example.com or 540-231-6226.
Blacksburg and Christiansburg welcome our veterinary students, and many off-campus housing options welcome pets! Most of our students live off-campus, and many choose to room together. The following outlines local housing options:
- Search listings via Virginia Tech Off-Campus Housing.
- Review DVM Student Housing Information (PDF), provided by the college's Omega Tau Sigma service fraternity.
- Contact the Virginia Tech Off-Campus Housing office at 540-231-3466 with any questions.
In addition to the university's requirements, the college has additional immunization requirements. You are required to provide documentation of the following vaccinations directly to VA-MD Vet Med's Office of Academic Affairs by either of the following methods:
- Email the documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fax the documentation to 540-231-9290.
- Incoming students will not be required to be vaccinated their first year, but will be required to be vaccinated prior to beginning the second year of the program. As in previous years, the Office of Academic Affairs will organize a vaccination clinic for all students in the Class of 2025 who need to be vaccinated.
- Subsequent to that time, a titer will be required of all students during the spring semester of the second teaching time. Students will not be able to enter clinical rotations in the fall without titer results and/or booster, if necessary.
- A tetanus vaccination is required every 10 years.
- If an FDA-approved coronavirus vaccination becomes readily available, we will require all students to be vaccinated against COVID-19.
- DVM students who plan to park on campus are required to purchase a parking permit. The 2021-2022 parking permits will be available in August and should be purchased before orientation.
- Student parking is available in the Cage Lot near the college.
- To learn more, visit Virginia Tech Parking and Transportation.
- The Office of Academic Affairs will handle your registration.
- Required Apparel for First Year (PDF)
- There are items you will need for participation in class and labs during your first academic year, many of which will be used throughout all four years of the program. Please check the student handbook for details on our dress code, and contact Academic Affairs with any questions or concerns.