The Office of Academic Affairs is preparing the laboratories and classroom for your arrival! There are items you will need for participation in class and they are listed below. Many of these items will be used throughout the four years of the program, but you may be required to purchase additional items for clinical year. There is a dress code for all laboratories, which can be found in the student handbook. Please contact Academic Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns.
You may purchase these items from any supplier, with the exception of your dissection kits, which are purchased through the college.
The Academic Affairs office will provide you with one light blue lab coat during orientation. (pictured below).
Lab coats must be worn during ALL multi-disciplinary labs (MDL). They should be CLEAN and neat at the beginning of every lab, as biosecurity is a must.
- Lab coats must be light blue
- 3/4 length (mid-thigh to knee)
- Standard 3-pocket
- Cotton-polyester blend-recommend no iron for neat appearance
Quantity: Each student will need two (2) coats. Students are expected to come to lab each day with a clean lab coat.
- NOTE: We purchase our labcoats from ElevenWest in Fairlawn, VA. If you want to order another one from them tell them you are a VMCVM student.
Helpful Hint: Buy one lab coat big enough to fit over a sweater and one that will fit over lightweight clothing!
New students will be required to purchase one (1) set of scrubs prior to arrival. Your first year at VMCVM your scrubs must be grey in color.
Coveralls must be worn during ALL large animal handling labs. They should be CLEAN and neat at the beginning of every lab. Biosecurity is a must when working with large animals.
- The coveralls must be Navy.
Quantity: Each student will need one (1) short sleeved coverall.
- Note: Coveralls must be worn when attending any external lab involving large animals. You MUST wear clothing under your coveralls.
Long sleeved insulated coveralls may be needed for fourth year rotations duringwinter months. For first year, it is not a requirement to have. Please do not purchase at this time. These can be purchased from places like Walmart and Amazon.
Rubber boots like the ones pictured must be worn during all large animal handling labs.
- Please remember, rubber, not leather, cloth or neoprene. No Muckboots.
- No outside buckles, straps, or ties
- Biosecurity is necessary when working with large animals and the boots must be scrubbed and disinfected after each laboratory or farm visit
- You MUST purchase over-the-shoe type boots and closed-toed shoes must be worn underneath
Quantity: Each student will need one (1) pair of rubber boots.
Helpful Hint: These can be purchased from Amazon or Tingleyrubber.com
Student Identification Badges
Security within the college is a high priority and we must be able to identify all persons within the facilities.
Information on how to obtain your student identification badge can be found here. It is required that you display this badge at all times while in the college. All students will be given a lanyard during orientation to use for displaying badges.
You will need scalpel blades for your anatomy laboratories and your clinical skills labs.
Scalpel blades can be purchased at the University Bookstore or any medical supply store.
- Purchase #10 Blades
Quantity: Depending on your use, more or less may be required. For the first year, please purchase twenty-five (25) blades.
You will be required to purchase one (1) digital thermometer.
Estimated cost: $132.00 Note this could change depending on vendor pricing when ordered
Your dissection kit has been ordered for you and your student account will be billed. If you are left-handed please verify that you have been given a left-handed kit. The kits will be distributed during orientation. Each kit includes the following:
- Scalpel Handle
- Taylor Precision Chrome Hammer
- Large Forceps
- Small Forceps
- Brown Adson Forceps
- Blunt/Sharp Scissors
- Curved Hemostats
- Blunt Probe
- Bandage Scissors
- 6" Mayo-Hager Needle Holder
- Suture Scissors
- Carrying Case